Huskies fall to Wilton in frustrating opener


A pair of high snaps proved to be the undoing of the Highland Huskies, as they fell to the Wilton Beavers 36-30 at home this past Friday night.

The first came in the second quarter after Luke Miller picked off a Wilton pass, giving the Huskies the ball on their own 2-yard line.

The Highland offense lined up in the shotgun formation, and the snap sailed over quarterback Connor Grinstead’s head. A Wilton defender pounced on the ball in the end zone, and after a successful 2-point conversion, the Beavers had closed the gap to 24-16.

The second miscue came with 1:23 left in regulation and Wilton holding a 36-30 lead.

The Huskies had a fourth-and-goal on the Beaver 2-yard line, needing a touchdown to tie the score.

Grinstead bobbled the high snap – again from the shotgun – and the Beaver defense secured the loose ball and the win.

Despite the two costly bobbles, Grinstead led both the Highland offense and defense.

The junior quarterback completed five passes for 51 yards and rushed for 183 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

One of those touchdowns was a 90-yard sprint down the right sideline late in the first half.

On defense, Grinstead recorded nine tackles.

The Huskies started strong, capping the opening drive of the game with a Grinstead touchdown.

Halfway through the first quarter, Wilton countered with a 6-yard touchdown pass, and a successful 2-point conversion to put the Beavers up, 8-6.

Owen Donovan scored the first of his two touchdowns late in the first quarter to give the lead back to Highland.

On the first play of the second quarter, Donovan scored again, this time on a 63-yard run.

At the 6:40 mark of the second period, Miller stripped the ball from a Wilton runner, picked it up and ran in a 12-yard touchdown, extending the Highland lead to 24-8.

Wilton answered with their defensive touchdown on the first ill-fated Highland snap.

They scored again on a punt return, closing the gap to 24-22.

Just 25 seconds later, Grinstead hit paydirt with his 89-yard touchdown, and Highland took a 30-22 lead into the half.

The second half was a much different story.

The Beavers tied the game early in the third, then their defense clamped down.

The Huskies were held to just one possession in the third quarter.

Wilton closed the quarter with a six-minute drive that resulted in what proved to be the winning touchdown.

The Huskies are on a bye this Friday, then return to action at Wapello on Sept. 11.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment